Saturday, April 17, 2010

Canelé Pâtisserie Chocolaterie @ Robertson Quay

I really don't know what happened to this restaurant. It used to be so good that I highly recommended this to my friends, but now I need to think at least twice to make the same recommendation I was so eager to make about half a year ago. The service had gone bad, very bad. I am not the type of customer that requests funny things and complain about many things so I believe I deserve to be treated rightly.

On this visit, my order came wrongly three times. The first time happened when the waiter delivered warm water instead of cold water, although I clearly requested for the latter. Secondly, when the waiter was about to put the soup on my table, he suddenly said 'It is the wrong one' and went back to kitchen to have it changed to the right one (minestrone). I didn't notice what the 'wrong' soup was. The third time happened when they served me 'Grilled eggplant, zucchini, mushroom & tomato doria' instead of 'Prawns, squid, scallops, mussels, crab meat & white wine doria', the latter of which was the one that I ordered. Anyway at least they had it changed. And the foods were still good, which stopped tonight's dinner here a total disappointment.

Minestrone ($8.50). I haven't had the chance to taste the 'authentic' minestrone (I know there are a lot of variations of this soup) but anyway at this place, it tasted of tomato, bland and mild. To me, it needed some kicks of spices. The bread that came with it was good so the overall experience was not truly disappointing.

'Prawns, squid, scallops, mussels, crab meat & white wine doria' ($18), a real winner of baked rice. The melted cheese was, as my friend described it, silky smooth and literally melt in your mouth. The seafood served on top of the rice was good too.
'Ham & cheese with asparagus doria'. My friend said it was tasty.
I was told it was the new cake of this patisserie. I didn't see any name given for it, nor did I see the price. Anyway it was something made of hazelnut and lemon.The two components surprisingly paired well and this cake was good.
Pretty lighting fixture, I hope the service is as pretty as this.
Canelé Pâtisserie Chocolaterie
Robertson Walk
11 Unity Street, #01-09
Robertson Walk
Singapore 237995