Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Khaled Hosseini, A Thousand Splendid Suns

"What was it about a season’s first snowfall, Mariam wondered, that was so entrancing? Was it the chance to see something as yet unsoiled, untrodden? To catch the fleeting grace of a new season, a lovely beginning, before it was trampled and corrupted?" (79).

"The brief and interminable time of feeling suspended. The not knowing. The waiting. Like a defendant about to hear the verdict" (156).

"But time is the most unforgiving of fires, and she couldn’t, in the end, save it all"(164).

"One could not count the moons that shimmer on her roofs, or the thousand splendid suns that hide behind her walls" (172).

"And the past held only this wisdom: that love was a damaging mistake, and its accomplice, hope, a treacherous illusion" (229).

"It is a hope as weak as my heart. This I know. But I will be waiting. I will be listening for your knock. I will be hoping" (360).