Friday, November 27, 2009

Jennifer Crusie, Bet Me

"'...Your prince is on his way.' 'Right, I’m sure he was on his way but a truck hit him.'"

"Where were all the women gamblers? It wasn’t as if being a woman wasn’t a huge risk all by itself. Twenty-eight percent of female homicide victims were killed by husbands or lovers. Which, come to think of it, was probably why there weren’t any women gamblers. Living with men was enough of a gamble." Minerva Dobbs

"That was one good thing about packing extra pounds, you got cleavage to burn."

"'What have you got against charming?' 'It so rarely goes hand in hand with 'honest'."

"'You’re not by any chance my stepmother are you?''Because that would explain so much.'"

"I was listening to Elvis singing ‘Love Me Tender’ last night, and it occurred to me that if he’d been reincarnated, he’d be about twenty-seven now, and I’m open to younger men. Statistically, the most successful marriages are those in which the woman is eight years older than the man. So I’ve decided to wait for Elvis to find me." Minerva Dobbs

"'What flaws?' 'Of course I have them, but I’ve been on my best behavior with you. Except for hitting you in the eye and attacking you on a picnic table.'"

"We don’t have to chill the wine at home, the atmosphere does it for us. "

"She sighed and picked up the snow globe Bonie had given her for Christmas, Cinderella and her prince on the steps of their blue castle, doves flying overhead. Cal Morrisey would look right at home on those steps. She, on the other hand, would be asked to try the servant’s entrance." Minerva Dobbs

"Men are visual."